Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What can we give Jesus for His birthday this year

During one of the 2 one hour long Russian sermons this past Sunday, I sort of zoned out. I must admit that I blocked it out completely and began meditating on how to make Jesus the center of my life, especially during the Christmas season, when we celebrate His birth. I guess i sort of "went shopping" in my mind. I know we all have wonderful family traditions, put out advent calendar, read the Christmas story, bake Jesus a birthday cake, give gifts, decorate, bake, cook and all sorts of fun things, which I ABSOLUTELY ADORE and will continue as long as I have breath in me. I love Christmas and these are all good things that we do. I was personally searching for something more/different for Him this year, for my KING.



Anyway, I was thinking about how I could be and encourage our family to be more intentional at making His birthday more for Him, and not about us, truly celebrating Him, and what He might want or enjoy from us for His gift this year. Here is what I believe He showed me:



# 1 KNOW HIM... He wants us to KNOW HIM this Christmas, to examine our hearts to make sure that we have accepted Him not only as Saviour but as Lord, and recommit our lives to Him anew: to make sure He is the King of our heart/life. Maybe we could set aside time to just be with Him and get to know Him even better. I know on my kids birthdays (and mine), I like to look back at pictures, reflect on how they were at different ages, celebrate different times/memories/accomplishments in their lives. I always want to tell them how much I love them, and how proud I am to be their Mama, and remember things we have done together, and all the things we have gone through (easy and hard) and just remember all the memories. I bet Jesus would like that too. For us to reflect on all He has done in our lives, all the memories we have made together, all the struggles He has brought us through and the joys and even sorrows of the Journey. We dont have pictures, but we do have spiritual markers and "history" with Jesus to reflect on and thanks Him for. If not, it is never too late to start the journey and begin walking with Jesus.



#2 GROW in HIM: Maybe ask Him to show us an area that we are struggling in or weak in and then study His Word, read good Christian books, or listen to online sermons, on the topic. To have focused prayer times over a certain area, or circumstance, person in our life, asking Him to grow us up into more mature followers. Maybe we could just spend some time set aside from the crazy/busy-ness, like He did at times. Just get away from the crowd, fast and pray during the Christmas season. Maybe we could plan to just go sit out in the woods, in the beautiful creation He gave to us, and just quiet place for a little while and ask Jesus to GROW us up some in some specific area, even if it is only for a few hours.



#3 SHOW HIM: We can try to be more intentional to show Him to others by our deeds/words (written and spoken) of kindness, goodness and giving, within our family and just out and about, as we go, and in His name; not our own. Intercede for others, for the lost, for the hurting, for the persecuted. Show love to others, especially those that can never repay or return it... not for our glory but for His (fruit of the Spirit: love, joy, peace, goodness, gentleness, sefl control, patience, kindness, faithfulness) I would also like to add here that He is truly passionate for us, loves us beyond comprehension, and rejoices over us with singing. He finds joy in His children, just like we find joy in our children; watching them laugh, play, enjoy life, and watching their pleasure when they receive gifts. I truly believe He feels the same pleasure only deeper for us. So we should do something fun during the Christmas break; go out and have some fun, laugh, sing, dance and play in JESUS NAME. Plan some special fun times and make some memories. I just have a feeling that our being joyful and grateful in this life pleases our King and makes Him feel pleasure.



#4 SOW HIM (The Gospel): We can find ways in our neighborhood, community, state, to be active and intentional about sowing Jesus this year, spreading the Word, His plan of salvation, hand out tracts or set aside a day to be intentional about talking to people about how much He loves them so much that He died for them, that He will take us where we are in our sins, forgive us and give us a new clean heart; to give us hope and faith that will carry us to the end. how very much He wants for us to live for eternity with Him, and desires Lordship in their lives. We can also take this time of year to give above and beyond to some specific church or mission organization that is serious about sowing the Gospel (JESUS IS THE GOSPEL)



I pray that we can all Know Jesus, Grow in Jesus, Show Jesus, and Sow Jesus more this Christmas,



Have a Merry Christmas, for His glory and love em like Jesus,



Patsy

No comments: