Sunday, August 9, 2009

Reagan is a Senior






Reagan is now a senior in college, how can that be?? It seems like yesterday we moved him into his dorm. Well, what am I saying? Wasn't it just yesterday that we left him at kindergarten? Reagan wanted to know when we were going to leave, and when we started to leave, he asked if Bryan could stay and color too, then Bryan cried to stay with Reagan, and honestly, so did I :( Poor Michael, again, if I remember, "it was the way it should be"

When we took Reagan's training wheels off, Bryan cried for us to take his off. The only problem is that he had a tricycle. We never could get him to understand that it wouldn't work without the back two wheels. Reagan actually wanted to put his back on to keep Bryan happy, putting Bryan first, the way it should be.

As most missionaries with children answer God's call to move their families over seas, we had questions: How will they learn the language, the culture? How will we educate them? How will they do without grandparents? How will they cope with goodbyes: family/friends? Will they be ok giving up team sports? Will they ever resent being taken away from everything they know as normal? Will they like the food? How will they meet their future spouses? Will they be ok?

The day we sold and began moving out of our dream house to leave for the mission field (I remember well, June 8 1999, because in the middle of it all, we looked at each other and realized it was our 14th anniversary), I found something in a file cabinet. A second grade journal of Reagan's (written 5 years earlier)in it was a paper he wrote titled something like what I want to be when I grow up. He said that he wanted to be a missionary to guess where?? Russia. When I found it I could not believe my eyes, as it was written 4 years before the Lord even called us to full time ministry, much less foreign missions. The Lord used that to give grandparents peace about our leaving.

Later that day, we told Reagan (12) Bryan (10) that we were giving them one footlocker besides clothes or books to pack with whatever they chose. They could choose toys, memory stuff, sports stuff, pictures, whatever they wanted, even if it was rocks out of the back yard. After a couple hours I went to look in their footlockers, as they were already back outside playing with friends. Reagan had a basketball trophy and Awana Clubber of the year plaque in his, and Bryan had a baseball mitt in his. That brought me to tears.

It was as if the Lord was saying, "They are Mine, and I will take care of them. See, I have already given them My call and they are more content with leaving it all to follow me than you are. I love them more than you do, and I will provide." and He did, He does. His promises are true and precious.

Throughout the 10 years of living overseas, we have prayed for our children in every way every parent does. We have had rough spots, hard times, and hurts and scrapes, personality clashes, butted heads at times, always praying for wisdom, forgiveness, grace and mercy, and so much more...

and His Answer: "It will be the way it should be". He wants us to obey and trust Him, with our lives and if we have children, with our childrens' lives, whether it takes us around the world, or next door, from public school to homeschool (or the other way around) We must listen to His voice, obey, and then allow Him to do what He deems best, not always pleasant, or maybe not even what we think is "safe", and certainly not always comfortable, but always BEST, His Best.


1 comment:

Sandra said...

Beautiful! I am in tears. Tony even remembers the training wheels episode. Beautiful post and beautiful family!