Sunday, November 30, 2008

Tithing Taters

Left: village life

Michael got to go out to the village to preach again today, after our regular service from 10:30 to 2:30. I was disturbed after hearing about the frantic shoppers....black friday or something like that, I call it greed and discontentment...they got the black part right...but now after Michael's story today, I am encouraged and blessed. We had the privilege to see something we had never seen, and rarely hear in the news: giving, not taking, sacrifice and not greed. The people in the villages here in Siberia, in our region, are poor, most don't have an income, only the vegetables they grow. For the second time this month one of the believers tithed their potatoes to the Lord and sent them by Michael back to the church. Lena's husband, Velodya: like Nina's husband, Dima a couple of weeks ago, who are not yet believers , loaded 4 huge bags of potatoes into the van, joyfully. Oh Lord, make me more content, more joyful, more giving.

"You say, 'If I had a little more, I should be very satisfied.' You make a mistake. If you are not content with what you have, you would not be satisfied if it were doubled." C H Spurgeon

1 comment:

Jill Willeke said...

Thanks for sharing! It made me sick to hear about "black friday" in America -- such greed. There are good people in Russia and I pray that the sacrafice of potatoes will open the eyes of those in America and all who read your blog. Blessings to you and much love.