Wednesday, December 10, 2008

IDENTITY

Identity

I have spent a lot of time lately learning and teaching Grace about identity. To sum it all up: If we place our identity, or our security in any thing or anyone (even good) that can be taken or stripped away, then we will always be on the edge of a false identity or security, as there is nothing that this world has to offer that will give us a true identity or security, besides Jesus Christ.

Just a few things that we can place false identity or false security in:

success
numbers (fruit counting)
Man's praise
Physical appearance
Talents
Ministry/Service
Gifts
What others think or say
Athletic abilities
Church
Job Title or occupation
Speaking gifts (including language)
Roles: Being a mother, wife, missionary
Nationality
Freedom (religious or otherwise)
Academic abilities or knowledge
Wealth
Government
Our family (parents, children, parenting etc...)
A pastor or leader
Material possessions

Every one of these things and I am sure many more, can be stripped or taken away, or disappoint and let us down, at any given season in our life, and leave us on a false edge of security.

JESUS. He will always remain, He is faithful, we can place our security and identity in Him, He can be trusted. He is faithful. He will never leave us or forsake us.

He is who He says He is, and we are who He says we are.

Lord, please help me to find my identity in You and You alone. Help me to truly be thankful and content with who I am in You. Help me to see any talents, roles, job titles, gifts, people etc., and even trials in my life as opportunities to tell others about You, and to bring glory to You, not to give me my identity, so that if and when i am stripped of everything, I will be content with You, Lord. You are worthy and you are enough.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I needed to read this today. thanks :)