Thursday, November 14, 2013

How to be Content





A DEVOTION ON CONTENTMENT BY Patsy Holyfield

If there is discontentment in our life today, what makes us think we will be more satisfied tomorrow? When our lives are full of grumbling or complaining, it simply shows our lack of trust in God. Contentment will never be dependent on our circumstances, but will always be dependent on our reactions and responses to them. Things may get better, but they could get worse. Make a decision today to seek true contentment. It will not be found in a location, wealth, poverty suffering, blessing, job/wages, stuff, pleasures, good deeds, health, pleasing others, Join me in reading and meditating on these verses and asking God to help us to find perfect peace, which can be found through a surrendered life to Christ alone:


Philippians 4:11-12 “Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.”


Luke 3:14 “And some soldiers were questioning him, saying, "And what about us, what shall we do?" And he said to them, "Do not take money from anyone by force, or accuse anyone falsely, and be content with your wages."


Philippians 2:14 “Do all things without grumbling or disputing."


Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 “And all that my eyes desired I did not refuse them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure, for my heart was pleased because of all my labor and this was my reward for all my labor. Thus I considered all my activities which my hands had done and the labor which I had exerted, and behold all was vanity and striving after wind and there was no profit under the sun.”


Hebrews 13:5 “Let your character be free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,"


Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go."



4 comments:

Kellye Hooks said...

This could have been written specifically for me, as in you could have addressed me directly. Thanks, my friend, for sharing these hard truths, and for living your life in such a way that the hard truths are lived out in front of us. Love you much!

Patsy said...

You are so welcome, my friend, what an encouragement you are to me on this sweet journey. I love you too!

Susie said...

This is so true and appreciate your reminder. Contentment will never be dependent on our circumstances, but will always be dependent on our reactions and responses to them.

Patsy said...

thanks Susie, hard but wonderful lesson to learn, I guess I will keep learning it till I am with Jesus in heaven.